Abortion simply means the termination of pregnancy. This term refers to termination of any kind of pregnancy which results from miscarriage that is otherwise known as spontaneous abortion. Certain medications can cause abortion.
Quick Facts about abortion pills
- The abortion pill used to induce abortion is called RU-486
- The FDA has approved it as long as it used based on prescription
- It works in different ways. It first blocks the progesterone which is needed for the continuation of pregnancy cycle and then it causes the uterine to contract in order to remove the embryo.
- The safest time to use this drug is during the early stage of pregnancy. This implies that the drug has to be taken within 49 counting from the last menstrual period in order for it to be very effective. For a woman that has irregular menstrual cycle, ultrasound can be used to find out the age of the fetus.
- Though it might work when used late but it comes with severe side effects.
- The ingredients in the “morning after” pills is very similar to this one its method of usage is different. The morning after pills is used to prevent pregnancy while the abortion pill is used to terminate pregnancy.
Side effects of abortion pills
- The use of this pill can lead to bleeding as it causes the uterine to contract while removing the uterus.
- It is very important to be able to differentiate between normal bleeding which accompanies abortion process and heavy bleeding that is a side effect of the abortion pill.
- There could be other side effects aside bleeding which includes:
- Painful cramping
Abortion Pill Long Term Effects
- The use of this pill can cause infertility. This could be as a result of the scare done to uterus during forceful removal of implanted fetus.
- Though the pill is meant to get rid of pregnancy by the contraction of the uterine, the side effect and desired effect usually do not last long.
- It has been proven with data gotten from clinics and doctors that prescribe these pills that most women that use the pills do not have fertility issues unless they already had it before the use of the pill