Edema occurs when interstitial fluid accumulates in excess, causing the affected organ to swell up. Edemas are basically of two types; with the extreme of the two being brawny edema. Brawny edema does not cause indentation which is common with pitting edema. It is caused by fibrotic changes which occur in the subcutaneous tissue located on the outer layer of the skin.
Though brawny edema affects every part of the skin, it mostly affects the lower extremities. It does affect the arms and the skin sometimes.
Circulatory dysfunction has been identified as the major cause of brawny edema. Circulatory dysfunction is often caused by;
- Severe deficiency of venous, often caused by varicose veins condition
- Obstruction of the lymph, often attributed to conditions such as Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Acute deficiency of renal caused by nephritic and nephritic syndrome.
Brawny Edema Symptoms
Brawny Edema, otherwise known as dropsy is often accompanied by swelling of affected organs which occurs when fluid accumulates around the affected organ. What makes Brawny edema characteristically different from other kids of edema is that is that it is non-pitting in nature (meaning that pressure test is often negative). Considering the fact that brawny edema is the most extreme form of edema, it is important to accurately differentiate it from other forms of edema.
Here is how you get to differentiate brawny edema from other forms of edema
- Apply pressure using the thumb over the affected skin area. The pressure has to be even and sustained for a period of 5 to 10 seconds. The best place to apply the pressure is the skin covering the tibia especially if the edema affects the lower extremity or the skin covering the sacrum if the hip or lower back has been affected.
- Remove your thumb after applying the pressure.
- If it is a pitting edema, an indentation will be formed after the pressure has been eliminated which will take back its initial shape after a couple of seconds. But if it brawny edema, no form of indentation will be formed due to the underlying skin tissue being damaged by fibrotic changes.
Home remedies for Brawny Edema
The remedy to be used in the treatment of brawny edema will depend on the cause of the edema. To maintain a healthy skin, here are some lifestyle and dieting tips you need to observe.
- Limit the quantity of salt you add to your meals. Salt causes increased retention of fluids in the body. It is equally important to stay away from processed foods as they contain preservatives made from sodium.
- If your skin has been affected by brawny edema already, then it is advised that you increase your intake of protein. Protein enhances the osmosis of the blood, thus preventing the blood from extravagating which is caused by interstitial space. Brawny edema is also caused by the deficiency of Iron in the blood. So it is needful to consume lots of iron rich foods such as fruits.
- Ensure your lower extremities are elevated at all times. Brawny edema affects the lower extremity when blood is unable to flow well due to little gravitational pull. To counter this, ensure your lower extremity is maintained at a position slightly higher than the level of the heart.
- Exercises such as consistent moving of the arm, is also effective especially if the edema effects the lower extremity, as doing so helps drain venous blood and at the same time minimizes interstitial edema.
- Homeopathic drugs such as Arsenic Alb (also known as homeopathic trocar) works well on brawny edema. This is because it can help drain off excess water stored in the body, thanks to its diuretic capabilities.