Body piercing has become a popular trend these days. Many people are opting for lip piercing to keep in tandem with the fashion but what not all of you would be aware of is that lip piercing is a tradition in some communities and has been practiced since a long time.
People believe that such piercing would make them more attractive and fetch them popularity, but with its set of pros, these piercings have a downside as well. In a lot many cases, people who have got piercing done on their body, particularly lips, infection has persisted. Though it is not that tough to cure such infections, but a lot of times it can take a long time to heal in case the infection gets severe. In some cases, one may have to take off the jewellery and close the piercing.
A person who gets infection usually notices extreme inflammation and pain, apart from experiencing body pain. As lips are situated close to our mouths, they are more prone to infections as mouth contains bacteria, especially in ones with poor oral hygiene. Lip piercing infection is indeed one complication that one may develop on getting piercing. In case the infection isn’t taken care of well in time, it can spread to other parts of the mouth including tongue and gums. As this piercing can be infected by viruses, it is mandatory for a person to take all precautions while getting piercing done. In maximum cases, lip infection can occur because of the use unsterilised tools for piercing.
Know some of the signs as well as the symptoms related to lip piercing infection.
- One of the major signs is pain at the piercing site that can increase with time. A throbbing pain can remain on the site for at least two days.
- Swollen and redness can be seen on the lips.
- There can be difficulty in eating and even chewing.
- There can be a discharge filled with pus on the site of piercing which can have foul smell.
- Fever can also be experienced, in a day or two.
- Swelling in neck lymph can be seen as well.
On seeing any or all of these symptoms, one should get in touch with a physician so that lip piercing infection doesn’t spread and can be stopped from spreading on other parts.
Getting Rid Of Lip Piercing Infection
- As soon as you notice the infection setting in, you must not squeeze the discharge at the piercing site.
- Never take off the jewelry item as you may develop an abscess, which can further delay the healing process.
- Rinse your mouth properly by mixing sea salt in warm water. Repeat this 3-4 times and it would be best to gargle after each and every meal.
- If there would be any debris around the infected area, then on rinsing with sea salt water solution it can get removed.
- An antibacterial mouthwash can come as a great rescue.
- Healing process can be hampered by cigarette smoking and drinking. Therefore one should refrain from indulging in both.
- Make sure while consuming food, no particle gets stuck between the piercing area; and it would be best to make use of a gentle toothbrush to clean the teeth.
- Eat yoghurt twice a day as it comprises of bacterial flora.
- Medical guidance muse be sought immediately on noticing swelled lymph nodes in the neck.
- Lastly, chewing crushed ice can provide utmost relief and minimize inflammation.