Everybody gets down from time to time. However, it is a problem when you are unable to bounce back from those periods of feeling down. If it starts to to impact your relationships, how you deal with others, and your every day life, you may have a serious problem. The key to overcoming this is a good doctor and a good support system. Here are some strategies that might help you overcome what could be long term depression.
1. When you realize you have a problem, seek help: Do not attempt to deal with your depression on your own. If you have the inability to deal with every day life, feeling pessimistic, hopeless, and even suicidal, it is time to seek help for your disorder.
2. Talk to your doctor to find out causes: Your doctor should do some investigating when it comes to the causes of your depression. There are many different causes that could be a factor:
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Thyroid disorders
- Substance Abuse
- Co-existing illness
3. Begin Your Healing: Start diverting your thoughts away from what is making you depressed. Whether it is a hobby, or reading a good book, distractions are a great way to begin to heal. A combination of medications, therapy and a good support system, can guide you along your way to feeling like yourself again.
4. Take Care of Your Body: Start eating healthy, reduce sugar and caffeine, and add more vegetables and fruit to your daily diet. Try to exercise regularly and get plenty of rest. It will surprise you how taking care of your every day health will make you feel about yourself.
5. Be Around Positive People: Talk to friends and family regularly.Surround yourself with positive and influential people. Eliminate any negativity in your life.