Skin tag when it builds on the skin causes a soft, tiny and colored growth on the affected site. Most times, it is harmless. However, it can cause minor irritation and so needs to be removed by snipping or cryotherapy which involves the use of electricity.
They mostly develop on areas where there is frequent rubbing of the skin against skin.
Skin tag when it affects the nipples, creates a soft and tiny growth which connects to the surface of the skin via a stalk. Though harmless, skin tag when not removed can cause one’s self-esteem to dip.
You will need the help of a professional to get rid of skin tags. Alternatively, mixing baking soda with water and then applying on the affected site will eliminate the tag.
Skin tags due to their harmless nature come with no symptoms. They can easily ruptured by pressure when subjected to pressure.
Causes of skin tags on the nipples
Skin tags mostly affect people in their 40s. Medically, skin tags are caused by the clustering of collagen within the blood vessel, thus causing the skin running over the affected vessel to get thicker. Skin tag is caused by the rubbing of the skin against the skin
Other causes of skin tag include:
- Obesity –people who are obese are more likely to suffer skin tags due to the excessive folding of their skin
- Infection – people infected with human papilloma virus are most likely to develop skin tags.
- Pregnancy – pregnant women oftentimes suffer skin tag due to changes in their hormonal profile
- Certain steroids when consumed increase the chances of one developing skin tags.
Home based treatment for Skin Tags on Nipples
Removing skin tags yourself is a bad idea because you can end up giving yourself infection and severe injury. Removal of skin growths like tags, moles, keratosis and pyogenic granulomas must be done with the help of a doctor.
- Home treatment of skin tags requires mixing water and soda, and then stirring until a paste is formed. Then rub the paste on the affected spot on the skin three times a day. Ensure the paste stays for a very long time. If possible, cover with a bandage. Depending on the severity of the tag, it takes about 2 weeks for skin tags to fade after treating with soda paste. You should notice some improvements within the first one week. If you don’t, immediately consult with a doctor.
- Certain cancerous growth have semblance with skin tag. So, before treating with soda paste, first ensure that it isn’t a cancerous growth by going for thorough medical examination. Most times, skin tags are a result of hormonal problems, and so needs to be examined by a medical professional.
- Cryotherapy which can be done with the help of a doctor is also an effective home remedy for skin tag on the nipples.