Our kidneys secrete urine that is a by-product of out body. This liquid passes out of the body through urethra travelling from ureter to the bladder.
Usually the urine of every person is sterile and doesn’t contain germs that might trigger disease. While passing out urine, a lot of chemicals get passed out with it. And these chemicals can only be known during urinalysis. These secretions of chemicals can suggest different bodily conditions or no problem at all.
Requisites Of Urine Test
A urine test can be done to evaluate and know the various components of urine. An examination of urine would provide information about illnesses that a particular person may have developed. 95% of water makes the urine. So, a urinalysis would include tests as mentioned below:
- Colour of the urine tells a person about the water content present in it. In a healthy person with no illness, the urine secreted would be pale or colourless. A waste material called Urobilinogen can offer a yellowish tinge to the urine as it results from the breakdown of RBCs. Over hydration can cause the urine pass out of a colour similar to water. And dehydration makes the colour dark yellow. Redness or dark yellowness in the urine can be due to certain diseases or medicines.
- Clarity can indicate that there may be white particles in the urine and can make it look cloudy. The reason for this may be bacteria or calcium phosphate crystals. The urine of women can look turbid as it can be vaginal discharge.
- A nutty odour can be observed. A few food can affect the smell of urine. Like your urine will smell bad after consuming alcohol or eating garlic and onion.
- Specific gravity must be known as then only you will know about amount of substances present in urine.
- Protein, glucose, and nitrites would also be checked.
What Are Floating Particles In Urine?
The following floating things in urine can be observed after conducting a microscopic analysis.
- Blood Cells: There are no blood cells present in urine; however one or two blood cells may be detected at a time. However at the time of infection, the kidney or urinary tract can get diseased and the colour of urine may change to red. These might appear as floating particles.
- Crystals: These are amorphous products in urine and in a healthy person, there may be a few crystals detected. And in an individual in whom abnormal quantity of crystals is found, presence of kidney stones may be seen.
- Squamous Cells: There may be cases where squamous cells are found. However contamination like vaginal discharge can be a breeding ground for these cells. nonetheless, they do not suggest a renal disease. In some exceptions, microbiologists may tell you to get a new urine sample.
- Casts: These are formulated in the kidney tubes and excreted out with urine. Such items cannot be seen usually and are quite uncommon. Moreover, there are different kinds of casts and these can suggest different diseases.
- When you collect urine sample in a bottle, you will be able to see lots of floating particles. If there would be lot of parasites in the urine, you would notice the urine become turbid.