It is very common among people to experience pain in their heads when they are coughing. In fact, there are people who also feel the pain when they bend over. Well, it is a condition that affects those who are suffering from dry cough or a cold that has been around for weeks, at a stretch.
What happens in such a situation is that the cough pressurizes the head, neck and chest. When it lasts in a person’s head, it causes headache and in extreme cases, pain in other parts of the body.
Doctors say that benign cough headache is bilateral and has a sudden onset. They refer to such type of headache as primary cough headache. What happens in such cases is that after coughing, a patient complains of a headache. It is observed that headache that roots from coughing, laughing or crying is only for a short duration – something that lasts only a few minutes or seconds. In some cases, it is observed that the head throbs for a few seconds when the next fit of cough strikes.
Mostly, it is said that people experiences appalling headache. When it lasts longer than the person who is suffering from it feels everything is squeezed. Many a time, headache is followed by constant heaviness and nagging pain that affects the back of the head.
While the above-mentioned headaches are not so serious, secondary cough headaches are mostly serious. They occur because of a malformation in the skull structure. They also result due to protrusion of a small portion of the brain that rests at the base of the skull.
Secondary headaches are persistent. In fact, there are cases when a person needs to seek medical intervention and correct the structural malformation.
Causes For Headaches
Smoking: It has been noticed that people smoking regularly experience a condition called chronic bronchitis. Such patients are always complaining about headaches.
Allergies: In many cases, allergic reactions to smoke, pollens, pollutants, dust particles and chemicals can cause throat irritation and lead to dry cough. Many times when there is a change in weather, especially if it is onset of dry weather, then it leads to dryness in the upper portion of the throat. Sometimes, that also causes cough.
Asthma: Asthma is another common cause of coughing.
In such a case, inflammation of the pharynx or larynx causes cough and eventually, start a headache. Inflammation occurs because of various reasons like bacterial and viral infection, sometimes even due to environmental pollution and overuse of the vocal cord.
Effective Home Remedies For Cough
It is advisable to get to the root of the problem. So, in case a person’s head is hurting due to coughing, then the focus should be on curing the cough and factors that cause the cough. After the cough has been tackled, the pain in the head will take a backseat and become fine.
- A very popular remedy for headache is lemon, salt and black pepper. One needs to take half of a lemon with salt and black pepper powder.
- Another popular remedy is honey and white pepper powder, which is also an effective home remedy for curing dry cough. Honey makes the throat smooth and helps with inflammation. It also has mild antibacterial properties.
- It is popularly believed that consuming grapes causes relief in case of dry cough.
- Another effective remedy is to eat garlic with meals.
- There are instances of people benefiting from honey and grape juice mixture. All one needs to do is take it 2-3 times a day to feel better. Gargling with salt water is a well-known relief for throat swelling and is a very common practice.
- In case you want instant relief, boil a cup of water. To this add, one tablespoon of lemon juice and a medium sized onion. You can add honey to taste and just drink two to three times a day.
- In case a cough lasts for over two weeks, it is always advisable to consult a doctor. While some cough is not dangerous and leaves on its own, in some cases it could be the start of bronchitis and pneumonia.